RE: [xsl] find Unique Nodes based on 2 Attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] find Unique Nodes based on 2 Attributes
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:04:10 +0100
> XSL command
> <xsl:apply-templates select="Subscriber[not
> (@language=following::Subscriber/@language)]"/>
>
> I'd like to be able to select unique nodes based on both the
> language and
> alertmethod attributes.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how you might change this command
> to allow it
> select a unique node based on both language and alertmethod
> attributes.

It's not trivial because the above method relies on the "implicit
existential semantics" of "=", which only applies when doing a simple
comparison between two node-sets.

The best approach is to switch to Muenchian grouping, as described on
www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping

(or of course in my XSLT Programmer's Reference 2nd edition)

Mike Kay