Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:30:46 +0100
> Ok, I think you two are saying the same thing.
we're twins don't you know:-)

> If I no longer know what my original XML document was encoded as, how do I
> know the appropriate encoding set to specify for the output?

every xml application is mandated to support at least the utf8 and utf16
encodings, so either of those is always appropriate  (or at least
acceptable) whatever the original encoding of the file.

>   In XML I was going to do xsl:output encoding="whatever the input xml was"

>   In HTML I was going to do META content="text/xml; charset=whatever the
> input XML was"

in both the xml and html output forms from XSLT these will be added
automatically to match the encoding that's used on output. The system
will choose something or you can give it a hint which encoding you'd
prefer and use <xsl:output encoding="...."/> (although the system is
allowed to ignore that and in some contexts msxml does ignore it and
give you a utf16 based output)

David