Re: [xsl] output escaping (i just dont get it)

Subject: Re: [xsl] output escaping (i just dont get it)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:04:00 +0100
>  i would want to require these attributes to contain
> proper entities.  Now, is my d-o-e solution a valid way to enforce this
> rule, or not?

you can never enforce anything with d-o-e as an XSLT engine is allowed to
ignore it. In particular it only normally works in a situation where you
are writing the output out to a file and re-parsing. In a situation when
you are passing the output tree straight to another application as a DOM
(as happens in client side mozilla/netscape transforms) then the DOM
will see what you have given it just a text node not elements and
entities. The xslt-specific d-o-e will be lost.

If (as sounds the case here) you are calling the stylesheet via some APi
rather than on the command line, then most XSLT systems will let you
pass in a tree as a parameter, rather than a string. It depends on the
XSLT system you have and the api you are using to access it.

David