[xsl] rendering marginal XML

Subject: [xsl] rendering marginal XML
From: Jay Kline <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:42:06 -0500
I run a list server that generates its logs in XML format.  It appears to be
valid XML, but it uses a method that is rather clumbersome. It uses this form:

<msgSent>
	<time>time sent</time>
	<origin>me@xxxxxxxx</origin>
	<r>you@xxxxxxxxx</r>
	<recieved>time recieved</recieved>
	<status>Any error messages, etc</status>
	<r>you2@xxxxxxxxx</r>
	<recieved>time recieved</recieved>
	<status>Any error messages, etc</status>
	(this repeats for each recipient)
</msgSent>
(this repeats for each message)

The problem is the <recieved> and <status> tags refer to the imediately
preceding <r> tag. I would like to generate a list from these logs that
contains only email addresses that had errors. The <status> tag will only
have text if there was an error, and the tag will not be there at all if
there was no error.  I realize this is a poor layout, and I will be
contacting the author of the software about it, but I still need to get the
data out of the logs formatted like this. Can anyone provide some hints on
how to create the XSL stylesheet for this?

Jay

--
Jay Kline
list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx