[xsl] Re: Dynamic Filter Menus

Subject: [xsl] Re: Dynamic Filter Menus
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
> ....and with those entries, I have created 3 keys based on the vendor, category,
> and version:
>
> <xsl:key name="venkey" match="entry" use="@vendor" />
> <xsl:key name="catkey" match="entry" use="@category" />
> <xsl:key name="verkey" match="entry" use="@version" />
>
> The menus are a unique list of the vendors, categories, or versions to
> select. I dont have any probelm with getting the initial unique list when
> no filters have been selected yet. I am trying to make the menus work in
> such a way that when one filter is selected, the other two menus that do
> not have a filter selected will show a unique list of only those values
> that match the selected filter.
>
> Example:  With the entries above, if I choose version 2.9 as a filter, then
> only "newmanufacturer" will show up in the vendor menu (once being unique)
> and "gorycat2" and "gorycat3" will both show up in the category menu.
>
> I have an xml file that is updated with the selected filter for each menu
> through javascript and pulled into the template as parameters:
>
>                <xsl:call-template name="filtermenus">
>                     <xsl:with-param name="pven" select="/docs/vendorfilter" />
>                     <xsl:with-param name="pcat" select="/docs/categoryfilter" />
>                     <xsl:with-param name="pver" select="/docs/versionfilter" />
>                </xsl:call-template>

One solution is (because you're passing parameters from javascript) just to update
the definitions of the "xsl:key" -s using DOM before performing the transformation:

 <xsl:key name="venkey" match="entry[fExp1 and fExp2 and fExp3]" use="@vendor" />
 <xsl:key name="catkey" match="entry[fExp1 and fExp2 and fExp3]" use="@category" />
 <xsl:key name="verkey" match="entry[fExp1 and fExp2 and fExp3]" use="@version" />

Another solution is to construct an RTF (and convert it to a node-set) containing
only the "entry" elements that satisfy the filters. Then use the key() function on
this document tree. Assuming that the "entry" elements are children of the current
node:

<xsl:variable name="vFiltered">
  <xsl:copy-of select="entry[fExp1 and fExp2 and fExp3]"/>
<xsl:variable>

<xsl:variable name="vFilteredEntries" select="xx:node-set($vFiltered)"/>

<xsl:for-each select="$vFilteredEntries">
   <xsl:variable name="uven" select="entry[generate-id()
                                       = generate-id(key('venkey', @vendor)[1])]"/>
   <xsl:variable name="ucat" select="entry[generate-id()
                                       = generate-id(key('catkey',
@category)[1])]"/>
   <xsl:variable name="uver" select="entry[generate-id()
                                       = generate-id(key('verkey', @version)[1])]"/>

<!--  Do whatever is necessary with the above 3 variables here -->
</xsl:for-each>

Here the "xx" prefix must be associated with the namespace in which the
vendor-supplied extension function node-set() is defined/implemented.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.