[xsl] FO Comparison to HTML and PDF

Subject: [xsl] FO Comparison to HTML and PDF
From: "Raul Rodriguez" <raulnyc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:43:43 -0500
Hi

I would like to get your opinions about something I am selling to senior management.

I am putting together a white paper advocating FO to be used in our products and services. For the layperson, I wrote a section called, "How Does FO Compare to PDF and HTML?" and made this scale diagram

Content <=====================================> Fidelity | | | HTML FO PDF

What I am saying is that FO sits betweeen PDF and HTML. Whereas HTML is more content oriented, the image fidelity of the documents are very
difficult to control. With PDF which is more image oriented, managing and accessing the content is not very good. FO provides the best of both worlds because I can manage the content and then produce high fidelity documents.

Since I am new to FO (2 months), I am not sure if this is a good
representation. I have read that with FO, I can position content anywhere I want but I have not seen that much evidence in that and certainly it does not seem as precise as PDF. Also since FO is an intermidate format and lacks a native browser, it might be proper to compare it to these two formats.

Your opinions are most appreciated.

Thanks

Raul