Re: [xsl] dynamic # of columns and column ordering

Subject: Re: [xsl] dynamic # of columns and column ordering
From: "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent III" <winchel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:46:43 -0500

> > [L Rutker]
> >
> > > I have to build a page that the user can set preferences
> > for what columns
> > he
> > > wants to see and in what order.
> > >
> > > Can this be done purely with XSLT? How?
> > > What would be the best way to approch this?
> > > How would user preference data be best applied to the process?
> > > How would the empty columns not show up in the output?

I have done this successfully using XSLT and a configuration XML file.  I
have an applicaiton that allows me to choose preferences about webpages on
the website, including color of the page, graphics, which menu to use, the
number of columns and the number of text blocks and their order within the
columns.  The application (which uses a simple Access database to store
preferences about each webpage) allows one to select the preferences and
content.  The preferences are put into an XML configuration file.  The XML
file feeds the XSLT which generates the webpage(s) (actually three webpages
are created . . . one for a local tests site, another for a remote test
site, and another for the live site).  When I run it in batch mode, it takes
about 20 minutes to generate about 150 webpages (the entire site) (using
Saxon 6.something).  The XSLT is large and complex, but works wonderfully.
The XSLT needs to know about the possible number of columns -- it can
generate one to three -- if I wanted to generate four columns, I would have
to change the XSLT.

Hope this is helpful,

Todd