[xsl] matching multiple times, outputting once?

Subject: [xsl] matching multiple times, outputting once?
From: "McKeever, Marty" <marty.mckeever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:18:20 -0500
This is really bugging me, because i thought it would be simple.  Maybe it
is, and i'm just having a mental block -- thanks for your help.

Here are 3 possibilities that i have to match for, and 3 desired outputs:

<emphasis bold="Yes">Hello</emphasis>
<emphasis bold="Yes" italic="Yes">Hello</emphasis>
<emphasis bold="Yes" italic="Yes" underline="Yes">Hello</emphasis>

<b>Hello</b>

and every possible combination thereof.

I have had no luck writing an intelligent template rule for these -- the
only way i've found so far is a deeply nested <xsl:choose> which takes every
possible combination into account.  This can't be the best way to do this.

Everything else i've tried either matches only one rule, or outputs "Hello"
multiple times, one for each style.

There has to be an elegant solution i'm missing...

(and yes, i know i could easily write this out as <span
style="font-style:bold,italic;text-decoration:underline">Hello</span>, but
that's not what i'm looking for here.)

TIA!
marty