Re: [xsl] Re: RE: Re: lookup-table thoughts (was Re: matching multiple times, outputting once?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: RE: Re: lookup-table thoughts (was Re: matching multiple times, outputting once?
From: Jeff Kenton <jkenton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:15:59 -0500
.. From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
..
.. Sometimes ago I asked the group whether it would not be appropriate to recognise
.. this extreme case of capability to be processed in parallel by introducing a new
.. XSLT instruction (e.g. xsl:parallel) that would give the XSLT processor a hint to
.. try to multi-process the children of xsl:parallel. Compare this to the current
.. version of the language, where any two content-producing siblings can in theory be
.. parallelised, but which is never done, partly because there's no clear indication
.. which of many possible alternatives is worth parallelizing.
..
.. I still think an explicit hint is a necessary and a very useful feature.
..

Most people (current company excluded, of course) do a bad job of understanding
parallelism and providing hints about it.  It's hard to implement, but still
probably better to have your XSLT processor do its own parallelization.

--jeff