Re: [xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'

Subject: Re: [xsl] Mysterious 'invalid character'
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:48:19 -0700 (MST)
Ingo Mittendorf wrote:
> My file is well-formed and valid against the DTD when I check it (within
> XMLSpy). No error message there.
>
> And unfortunately the invalid character is invisible, which is my problem. I
> simply can't find it. What am I supposed to look for? As I was saying in my
> first posting, when I once had the problem before, it apparently had
> something to do with the line-feed/carriage-return. I have been trying to
> find something on it, without success. So, I do need to know where to start.

You could also show us exactly what you're doing to produce and transform the XML.

Does it work with another XSLT processor / XML parser combination? Try downloading
Instant Saxon from saxon.sourceforge.net and see what it tells you when you run it
from the command line.

You should also try to determine what bytes are actually in the file. Get an editor
that lets you see a side-by-side ASCII and hexadecimal representation of the bytes in
the file. Try getting TextPad from textpad.com and use it to open the file, choosing
in the File Open dialog window Binary for the format instead of Auto. Or on a unix
system, run hexdump -C on the file.

   - Mike