Re: Re: [xsl] local variables as entity reference in different stylesheets

Subject: Re: Re: [xsl] local variables as entity reference in different stylesheets
From: Marko Draisma <mdraisma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:38:34 +0000
Hi Jeni,

>Cripes, you're right! That's definitely a bug, in both MSXML 3 and 4.
>Will you report it?

Well, I would, if I could find out how!

>Interestingly enough, with processors other than MSXML (e.g. Saxon,
>Xalan, libxml) you don't have to worry about the namespace
>declarations in the external document at all because the entities are
>resolved before the namespace prefixes are checked.

Hmm, MSXML lost some points here. I thought MSXML4 would be the best choice
for client-side processing, being fast and sticking to the XSLT-recomendations.

>Thinking along those lines, you could try an approach where you
>included something like:
>
>  <my:variables />
>
>in your stylesheets and ran them through another XSLT process to
>substitute in the variable declarations, and use the result of that
>transformation as the stylesheet in your later transformations.

Aha, never thought of that! I used something like that to
generate a stylesheet with variable amount of xsl:keys.

>Of course you'd have to use an
>XInclude-and-XPointer-aware pre-processor to resolve them. The
>advantage of entities is that most basic XML parsers will do the job
>for you.

To spread the burden of information-overload, I have decided not to
try things out, before they are accepted as a recomendation, and
implemented in some widely used products.
After XML, XSLT, XSchema and DTD, the next mountain to climb will be
SVG, just for the fun of it. I am in the comfortable situation of
doing this as a somewhat nerdy hobby.
In other words, I will leave that suggestion to another time.

Thank you for the support,

Marko.