Re: [xsl] sorting related issue

Subject: Re: [xsl] sorting related issue
From: "Sanjay Pandey/Towers Perrin" <pandeys@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:46:41 -0500

Hi List,

I tried the following

     <xsl:variable name="sortedErrorMessage">
          <xsl:for-each select="/ErrorMessages/ErrorMessage">
               <xsl:sort select="Name" order="ascending" />
               <xsl:sort select="Type" order="ascending" />
                    <xsl:value-of select="Name" />
                    <xsl:value-of select="Type" />
                    <xsl:value-of select="Details" />
          </xsl:for-each>
     </xsl:variable>

I can view the value of variable and that is correctly set
     <xsl:template match="/">
          <xsl:value-of select="$sortedErrorMessage"/>
     </xsl:template>

and then if I add
     <xsl:for-each select="msxsl:node-set($sortedErrorMessage)/Name">
          <xsl:value-of select="."/>
     </xsl:for-each>

the XSL does not proceed further. Is that an MSXML environment issue?

Thanks,
Sanjay

                                                      To:     xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sanjay Pandey/Towers              cc:     (bcc: Sanjay Pandey/Towers Perrin)
                    Perrin@TP                         Subject:     [xsl] sorting related issue
                    Sent by:
                    owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                    rytech.com

                    12/14/2001 09:00 AM
                    Please respond to xsl-list

Hi List,

My XML looks something like below

<ErrorMessages>
     <ErrorMessage>
          <name>a</name>
          <type>1</type>
          <details>abcd</details>
     </ErrorMessage>
     .
     .
     .
     <ErrorMessage>
          .
          .
          .
     </ErrorMessage>
</ErrorMessages>

I would like to sort my XML on <name> and <type> on the Client side and do
things like do not display "name" if the next "ErrorMessage" record also
has the same "name".

I tried checking using "preceding-sibling" but that uses the "document
order". I am sure this is a trivial issue, but I need some clue / pointers
/ direction.

I am using MSXML3 on the Client side (IE browser only).

Any response would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanjay