Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: [xsl] RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...

Subject: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: [xsl] RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:19:09 -0500
Gunther Schadow writes:
[...]
 > I think the issue with modes that I have is similar. I guess what
 > I want is mode to be such a dynamic context, such that once I
 > switch mode in an explicit apply-templates call, all the other
 > apply-templates in the call-graph down from there should use the
 > same mode until overridden. This would almost get rid of the need
 > to construct modes.

I recall wishing for this as well.  It would be sufficient for there
to be an XPath function to return the mode of a template (this can be
determined statically) and for the mode attribute of apply-templates
and call-template to accept an expression rather than a QName.

The problem being addressed is "hom much do I have to edit if I want
to change the modes of these templates?".

 > regards
 > -Gunther
 >

 > PS: may be Dimitre or someone else can calm my mood by recalling
 > for me in what way the usually statically scoped Scheme language
 > is superior over dynamically scoped LISP? Or what makes a variable
 > that can only be overridden in a lexical scope different from a
 > local constant?

What Lisp do you use?  CommonLisp variables are lexically scoped by
default.  Dynamic scoping is available on a per-symbol basis via a
declaration.