[xsl] Profiling XSLT

Subject: [xsl] Profiling XSLT
From: Brian Smith <blsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:12:11 -0600
What is the best way to profile an XSLT stylesheet? I have one that is using a lot of "navigation" between elements in a document using the document() function. I suspect that this navigation is making things markedly slower. However, I'm also worried that my slow performance might be coming from my extensive use of the EXSLT functions module.

I am currently using Saxon 6.5 but I could do the measurements on a different XSLT processor if necessary. Saxon 6.5 has a performance tracing tool (java -jar saxon.jar -t) but when I use it I get very little output. I think this is because most of my logic is in my EXSLT functions.

SAXON 6.5 from Michael Kay
Java version 1.3.1_01
Preparation time: 471 milliseconds
Processing file:/C:/md/md-xmi/sql/xmi/Model1.4-Model1.4-XMI2.0.xmi
Building tree for file:/C:/md/md-xmi/sql/xmi/Model1.4-Model1.4-XMI2.0.xmi using class com.icl.saxon.tinytree.TinyBuilder
Tree built in 170 milliseconds
Building tree for file:/C:/md/md-xmi/sql/xmi/Model1.4-Model1.4-XMI2.0.xmi using class com.icl.saxon.tinytree.TinyBuilder
Tree built in 40 milliseconds
Execution time: 110090 milliseconds

Thanks,
Brian Smith