[xsl] Re: RE: quick table layout problem

Subject: [xsl] Re: RE: quick table layout problem
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:06:58 -0800 (PST)
"Andrew Welch" <andrew at thebristoldirectory dot com> wrote:

[snip]

> Regarding xpath visualiser, I have used that in the past and it is very
> useful.  However, it doesnt let me find out the xpath of one element, based
> on the position of another - that would be a worthwhile addition.

To produce a path for an element is exactly the reverse of what the XPath Visualizer
does. Probably you meant to specify an XPath expression relative to a (current)
node?
This can be achieved as follows:

1. Create a variable, whose "select" attribute is an XPath expression, that
evaluates to the node you want to use as current.

2. Use this variable in further XPath expressions. E.G. $cur/a/b/c

The lack of point and click node-identification is by design with the purpose to
encourage the user to learn XPath by having to specify as much expressions as
possible... :o)

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.