RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y

Subject: RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y
From: "Kovach, Dave" <dave.kovach@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:12:44 +0100
1. A group could build their own Velocity/framework or templating system
using XSLT that is more specific to their project or application.

2. Rid of JSP's altogether and use XSLT/XHTML bolted to a Servlet engine
running with Saxon (or another XSLT engine) - JSP's can be discarded (dont
have to be, but could be)

3. XSLT works non-procedurally and does its magic recursively. This is the
win. Much data that is trapped in DBMS's doesn't need to be - so many things
we put there are hierarchical by nature not relational and XSLT is suited
like NO OTHER to handle and present this info in various ways (VIEWS) to
various devices - all by changing some XSLT code in an XSL stylesheet. How,
it works through XML data or properly structured info can not be replicated
anywhere - not via a Velocity structure or anything.

(sounds like the typical, developers holding tightly onto what
they know and how they already do things - is good enough. But,
XSLT was built for XML... JSP and Servlets (much less Velocity)
were not)

David Kovach
SAP Labs
Palo Alto, CA