RE: [xsl] XML doc in CDATA section

Subject: RE: [xsl] XML doc in CDATA section
From: Curtis Burisch <burisch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:31:23 +0000
>> I've got an XML document within a CDATA section. Is it possible to
>> parse and transform this document in a single pass, without having
>> first strip the document out and write it to another file?
>>
>Why is it within a CDATA section? CDATA is there to allow non-XML text
to be
>embedded in XML; using it to embed XML seems completely crazy, though
it has
>become highly fashionable. Apart from anything else, it falls apart if
the
>nested document itself contains a CDATA section.

I couldn't agree more -- it is bizarre and unorthodox, but
unfortunately not my decision. Hmm... I'm going to have a go at getting
them to change this. I believe it is pure laziness in their
specification -- they didn't want to have to remove the <!DOCTYPE>
directive in the original xml doc they've put into the CDATA section,
as I believe this would cause it to fail to be parsed (I may be wrong?)

>Try writing a Perl script that removes the "<![CDATA[" and "]]>"
delimiters,
>to create the document that you should have been using in the first
place.

Sigh. Yes, pre-processing it will have to be, unless I can get them to
change the spec. (very unlikely!!)

Thanks for your reply & best regards,
Curtis Burisch