RE: [xsl] Generic Looping

Subject: RE: [xsl] Generic Looping
From: Corey_Haines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:24:18 -0500
Bryan,

That looper looks interesting. I downloaded it to look at. It is a little
bit different than what I'm aiming to do, though.

All,
Dimitre had mentioned that perhaps I didn't explain the point of the thing
very well, so I thought that I would try again.

Basically, the whole point stemmed from someone asking if they could write
a template that would accept a list and an XPath. The template would loop
over the list and, effectively, do a <xsl:value-of select="eval($XPath)"
/> for each element. In effect, they wanted to have (as has been asked a
few times in the past couple days that I've seen) an eval() function in
XPath.

This got me thinking about ways to pass in a formatting to a template
which would allow you to dictate to the template what should be done to
each element in the list. I ended up with the stylesheet that I submitted
yesterday.

I was hoping that some of the gurus here on the list could take a minute
to look at the XSL, itself, and let me know if there were any better ways
to do it.

The more I think about it, the more places I see this used, especially
when building HTML table or HTML list boxes. Also, if someone isn't that
well versed in XSL, they could use my template to produce something based
on a list and the actual output they want.

Thanks,
-Corey

"Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
02/08/2002 03:24 AM