Re: [xsl] passing a value from HtML to XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] passing a value from HtML to XSL
From: "Agnes kielen" <a.kielen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:46:37 +0100
Hello Kit,

This is a copy of a post from Andrew Welch, which was very helpful to me.

to pass in a parameter from a javascript function:

(this is assuming you have msxml3 installed)

function whatever(){

  var xml = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DomDocument.3.0");
  xml.async = false;
  xml.load("yourXmlFile.xml");

  var xsl = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDomDocument.3.0");
  xsl.async = false;
  xsl.load("yourXslFile.xsl");

  var template = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.XSLTemplate")
  template.stylesheet = xsl
  processor = template.createProcessor()

  processor.input = xml
  processor.addParameter("param1", "param1value")
  processor.addParameter("param2", "someOtherValue")
  //and so on

  processor.transform()

  document.open()
  document.write(processor.output)
  document.close()
}

Make sure you include the following param declarations as top-level elements
(basically below the namespace) of your stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:param name="param1"/>
<xsl:param name="param2"/>

You can then access the params using $param1 and so on...

Remember, once a variable is assigned a value in a stylesheet in cannot be
changed - its more like a constant.

Cheers Agnes