[xsl] Loosing encoding information

Subject: [xsl] Loosing encoding information
From: "Ragulf Pickaxe" <jawxml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:55:15 +0000
Hello again,
Hopefully not problem but question (whether it is a problem for me depends on the answers to my question :)

Julian Reschke:
> Set oXml = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
> Set oXsl = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument")
>
> call oXml.loadXML(vXmlData)
> call oXsl.load(Server.MapPath(".\Stylesheets\File.xsl"))
>
> sData=oXml.transformNode(oXsl)
> Response.Write(sData)

Never do that. You'll loose encoding information.

Use

oXml.transformNode(oXsl, Response)

instead.

And complain to MSDN about their faulty examples.

I have never heard of this, loosing encoding information before, and I use this code all over when transforming my documents. Can you (or anyone else) please explain to me what exactly I am loosing? (When I say encoding, I strongly presume that you don't mean the character encoding as in the problem I had, but in a broader way...?)

Insidently, I looked up w3shool.com, looking for examples of the "right" way, and they showed (transforming on the client):
..
document.write(xml.transformNode(xsl))

Which is not exactly the same as Julian Reschke's example, but doesn't convert it into a string, before output, either.

Thank you again
Ragulf Pickaxe :)