[xsl] How best to use recursion/call-templates?

Subject: [xsl] How best to use recursion/call-templates?
From: "David T." <kujhawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:37:16 -0500 (EST)
If I have this XML fragment:

<xml>
 <row>
    <account>32</account>
    <name>Smith</name>
 </row>
 <row>
    <account>32</account>
    <name>Jones</name>
 </row>
 <row>
     <account> 35</account>
     <name>White</name>
 </row>
</xml>

....then I'd like this output

   <a>smith</a>
   <a>Jones</a>
    <a> White </a>

In other words:  each account number is in its own <span> tag, and each
name that has that account # is a link (<a>) inside that span tag.  Since
Jones and Smith both have the same account #, they are inside the same
span tags.  Since White has a different account number, there is a
separate <span> tag.

1.  How can I achieve this output?
2.  Should I use recursion to achieve this?
3.  Is this a procedural problem and should I rethink my approach?

What I have tried:  I have tried a number of call-template functions but I
never seem to get the right result, primarily because I never quite nail
down the right params to send. I've also tried using preceding-sibling to
work through this, but I got deeper into trouble.  I'd post my XSL but
it's terribly convoluted now.   I am admittedly lost. Any suggestions?

David.