RE: [xsl] implementing XPath over a DB like DB2

Subject: RE: [xsl] implementing XPath over a DB like DB2
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:17:12 -0000
Software AG's XML database, Tamino, has a query language which is
essentially an extended XPath; the implementation can take advantages of
indexes to optimize the query and search gigabytes of persistent data. The
new XQuery specification is a superset of XPath so the same technology is
needed.

The model is not that the database is one huge XML document, rather it is a
collection of documents, and one of the extensions to XPath semantics is the
extension to apply a single XPath expression to such a collection.

We have an XSLT processor inside Tamino that's designed to achieve close
integration with the database, though as yet it is not operating directly on
the persistent data: it operates on documents that you create as the result
of a query.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx