Re: [xsl] Command Line XSLT programs

Subject: Re: [xsl] Command Line XSLT programs
From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 06:55:28 +1100
Dru Sellers wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to apply an XSLT to multiple XML docs at
the same time. My company has a "document-base" in XML that they want
converted into HTML. So instead of me doing them one by one with MSXSL and
MSXML 4.0.

Any ideas?

Others have answered on this question suggesting scripting solutions or the use of Makefiles; these are all valid answers. One tip: rather than use Makefiles per se, take a look at XML Pipeline - Sun recently announced an implementation based on Ant.

Here at Zveno we have a product, with the lame name 'xmltool',
that allows you to select the files you want processed,
the stylesheet to process them with and then let 'er rip.
It's configurable to use different XSLT processors.
We're currently working on getting it ready for release,
but at the moment have delayed that to make use of XML Pipeline.

If you'd like to get hold of a snapshot of the current
development, let me know.

However, there are other techniques.  To produce the
documentation suite for the XSLT Standard Library I use
a single XSL stylesheet and to extract the DocBook fragments
from a number of stylesheets.  The source document 'build.xml'
list the files to be processed.  Another stylesheet then
processes the intermediate files to create HTML.
You can find the XSLTSL at http://xsltsl.sf.net/.  Look in
the doc subdirectory for build.xml and the stylesheets.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas