Re: Re: [xsl] regarding variables and axis

Subject: Re: Re: [xsl] regarding variables and axis
From: "william locksman" <vsd18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 22 Mar 2002 16:12:14 -0000
Hello Cutlass

when node context is <name/>

use parent:: to get to childelement and/or combine with preceding:: in your
select statement to get to childelement1

forgive me for my newbie question..
i was not very much successful in writing the xpath expression to get to the childelement1.
could you please help me getting the expression.
i tries weird expressions like preceding-sibling[parent::childelement]..
I know i am wrong at the expression.. but my idea was to get the preceding sibling of the parent of childelement
any suggestions in this regard is appreciated
bill

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 cutlass wrote :

----- Original Message ----- From: "william locksman" <vsd18@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Dear members > The following are my questions.

Hello William,

> 1.Will unnecesary variable declaration contribute to any overhead
> in terms of processing performance etc??

well, if they are unneccesary u dont need to use them ? any use of them will
cause an overhead, no matter how slight.

> 2.if i have an xml structure like this:
>
> <root>
> <parentelement>
> <childelement1>text in child1</childelement1>
> <childelement>
> <name></name>
> </childelement>
> </parentelement>
> </root>
>
> If context node is <name>(i got there through a for loop),then how
> do i print the text in <childelement1>

when node context is <name/>

use parent:: to get to childelement and/or combine with preceding:: in your
select statement to get to childelement1

> i understand ancestor would not get me to childelement1..
> how do i then reach to main element..
>
> alternatively i thought of a solution of getting there through
> ancestor::parentelement/childelement1/text()

if u only need to go up to the parent, then this statement will take up more
processing time which increases with the overall size of your xml doc.

gl, jim fuller