Re: [xsl] xsl value-of

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl value-of
From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 22:41:57 +0200
> Jeni and Joerg, thank you very much for your help.
> It finally worked!
> I've used
> <xsl:key name="labels" match="label" use="concat(../../@id, '_', @id)"/>
>
> I didn't understand why I have to put only label and not label/text()
>
> thanks again,
> Matias

Hello Matias,

with the key-declaration above and using key('labels', ...) you always get
back a nodeset which contains the matching label-elements. This is similar
to any XPATH-expression "navigating" to this label element. And as you can
do

<xsl:value-of select="../../bla/foo/label/@id"/>

you also can do

<xsl:value-of select="key('labels', 'string')/@id"/>

Using label/text() in the match-attribute of the key-declaration is not
wrong, but ... let's say unusual. Because for creating the key, you must go
one step back more:

<xsl:key name="labels" match="label/text()" use="concat(../../../@id, '_',

On the other hand your key() can be shorter: <xsl:value-of
select="key('labels', ...)"/> with "label" in the declaration gives you the
text-nodes of all matching label-elements and it's descendant elements. With
label/text() only the text-nodes of the matching label-elements. Our key()
has to be "key('labels', ...)/text()" to have the same effect as yours.

Maybe Jeni can it explain it better, more explicitely, but I hope you can
see, what I want to say ;-)

Joerg