Re: [xsl] Unsupported symbols

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unsupported symbols
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:57:07 -0500
Peter--

It can't be done directly, since these characters can't be handled internally and can't legally be serialized as XML.

On the other hand, if you are willing to represent your non-XML characters in some conformant way (for example, as an element, <char n="x000C"/>), a serializer that creates non-XML output can be wired to create it.

A facility to do something like this was included in the release of XT, James Clark's XSLT processor. See http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html, under the heading "non-XML output". XT is open source, so this facility could no doubt be emulated in Xalan.

Regards,
Wendell