RE: [xsl] explain of Joerg xslt (was: xsl:copy ...)

Subject: RE: [xsl] explain of Joerg xslt (was: xsl:copy ...)
From: "Matias Woloski" <woloski@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 03:35:39 -0300
: ii) Why the Indice tag is changing for the tree tag? Only by
> putting the
> : <tree> tag inside the <xsl:template> which matchs the tag name
> Indice will
> : do the trick? This syntax wants to say: Match all Indice tags and
> when you
> : find each one parse and write <tree> <xsl:appl... </tree> instead
> of what
> : the Indice tag has inside it? hope you understand this question :)
>
> Well, basically when you write xsl to transform an xml document to
> another document type, be it xml or html
> or else, you process an input document by writing rules (templates)
> of how this document is to be transformed.
> Therefore it is up to you to decide what will be inside the output
> document and what not. <xsl:....> type of elements are mere
> instructions to the xsl processor to process the document you feed
> into it with the given stylesheet.
>
> You are free to use whatever you want to use in your stylesheet to
> have a output document (tree) matching your needs. Therefore it is
> absolutely allowed to insert a <tree> tag into the stylesheet, as
> long as you close this tag =)
> Whatever you write into the stylesheet to be output in the output
> document (tree), it will be in there.

Carsten, I undestand this what I cannot understand is why the Indice element
doesn't show in the output xml.
But I think I'm understanding now... If I build a stylesheet with this only
<xsl:template match="Indice">
</xsl:template>
I will get nothing as the output. I'm on the right way! yes! :)

> As you can see, xsl:copy creates a copy of the current node.
> xsl:copy-of does have a select attribute which enables you to copy a
> set of nodes directly to the output tree without touching them,
> except for what the
> processor will apply to the nodes in the output tree (see above).

So it's the same doing this
<xsl:template match="@*">
	<xsl:copy />
</xsl:template>

and this
<xsl:template match="@*">
	<xsl:copy-of select="." />
</xsl:template>

> Okay hope my "kauderwelsch" is easy to understand and does not state
> that much of incorrect
> information as I wish it could =)

This was really helpful and clear. I'm starting to get this strange
language. Thank you for your teaching time!  :)

regards,
Matias