Re: [xsl] building namespaces

Subject: Re: [xsl] building namespaces
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:37:55 +0100
I would just like to add one bit to Mike Brown's explanation of namespaces
that people new to xslt may not quite understand:

Namespaces are used provide uniqueness for elements, but some namespaces are
used to tell the xslt processor that the element is an instruction.  The
xslt namespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; normally gets
associated with the xsl prefix at the top of the stylesheet like this -

version="1.0">

The xslt processor then knows that it should do something with <xsl:element>
or <xsl:number>, whereas  I could also declare my own namespace and use my
own elements like <my:element> or <my:number>, but the processor would treat
them very differently.

I guess its easiest to say that the xslt processor is 'aware' of certain
namespaces and knows how to deal with elements in that namespace

has that helped or made it worse?

cheers
andrew

*<a href="http://www.thebristoldirectory.com";>The Bristol Directory</a>*