RE: [xsl] count element content length

Subject: RE: [xsl] count element content length
From: Jarkko.Moilanen@xxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:41:13 +0300 (EEST)
Lainaus Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx:

> Heppa,
>
> > Is there some method to count the elements content length and when
> > for example the 20th character is met, then it would stop showing
> > the rest and put ... after that. Because of my lowsy english, here
> > is one example:
> >
> > elements content:
> > <Subject id="0000000002">Chattaamaan city chattiin ke klo 12</Subject>
> >
> > the result should be:
>
> <xsl:template match="Subject">
>     <xsl:value-of select="concat(substring(., 1, 20),'...')" />
> </xsl:template>
>
> But you might want to consider breaking the string at word boundary

You are right, but I am not at that level yet =)
But hey! If I do like Santtu suggested, the result is a bit wrong since
it adds "..." also to elements that are shorter than 20 characters. What to do?

Cheers Jarkko

> Cheers,
>
> Santtu

Jarkko Moilanen         *You are wise, witty, and wonderful,      *
Researcher/ ITCM        *but you spend too much time              *
jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxx  *reading this sort of trash.              *
www.uta.fi/~jm60697     *                                         *
GSM: +358 50 3766 927   *                                         *