[xsl] Newbie questions on example files of Mr.Pawson's XSL-FO book

Subject: [xsl] Newbie questions on example files of Mr.Pawson's XSL-FO book
From: Yosuke Ichikawa <ichikawayosuke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:25:02 +0900
Hello,

I have some questions on the sample on Chapter 13 of Mr.Dave Pawson's XML-FO
book.

The chapter is found here;
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/ch12.html
The sample codes for this chapter is found here in full;
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/ch12Ex1.html

Using Antenna House XSL Formatter 2.1.2002.327 (evaluation version), IE
6.0.2600.0000, Win 2000.

Question 1)
When trying to run this example on the Formatter, I get an error at the
second line of main.xsl (Example A.3) and the second line of the ps.xsl file
(Example A.4), which is the same following line;

    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [<!ENTITY  sp  "<xsl:text> </xsl:text>">]>

The Formatter says "Reference to undeclared namespace prefix: 'xsl'."
I had no idea how to solve this, so I commented them out. Is this okay?

Question 2)
I also got an error from the following part of the ps.xsl file (Example
A.4);

    <xsl:attribute-set name="border">
    <xsl:attribute-set name='border'>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-before-style>solid'</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-after-style>solid'</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-start-style>solid'</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-end-style>solid'</xsl:attribute>

    <xsl:attribute name='border-before-width>.1mm"</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-after-width>.1mm"</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-start-width>.1mm"</xsl:attribute>
    <xsl:attribute name='border-end-width>.1mm"</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:attribute-set>

When I drop this file on IE, I get an error that "Required white space is
missing." on the third line.

I commented out the second line and changed the attribute lines to the
following format and the file became displayable on IE;

    <xsl:attribute name="border-before-style">solid</xsl:attribute>

Is this okay?

With the changes mentioned above, I got a nice, 27-paged layout on the
Formatter, but I'm not sure if the changes I made have altered how it's
really supposed to be.

Question 3)
In the Formatter output, the first item in the header, the chapter number,
is numbered sequentially, but the second item on the header, the chapter
title, comes out as "Chapter n +2" etc. for chapter 4 and later.

I notice that this is how it's written in the source document (Example A.2),
but am I supposed to be getting an evaluated value here too, like "Chapter
4", etc?

I only have a very basic knowledge of XML in general. In trying to find out
how XML documents can be rendered to a paper-print format, I've just started
to learn about XSL-FO (and XSLT along the way).

I did some tutorials on the xml.com site and now am trying the sample codes
on Mr.Dave Pawson's book. Rather than disturb Mr.Pawson personally with such
newbie questions, I thought I'd ask on this list; I hope this is not
inappropriate.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Yosuke Ichikawa
Tech writer