[xsl] Loosing Precision after Transformation

Subject: [xsl] Loosing Precision after Transformation
From: "Garvin Franco" <garvin_franco@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:44:50 -0400
Has anyone had problems loosing precision after transforming a message using Xalan??

Problem:
I have content stored in an element as follows
<aNumber>12345.12345</aNumber>

I format the content in this element for output as follows ( note: length 10 with 0 padding )

<xsl:value-of select="format-number(number*100000,'0000000000')"/>

On the ouput I get 1234512344, which is off by .00001. I need the exact value on the source document. I tried a substring-before and substring-after the the decimal separator '.', then concatenated the total and fractional parts, then formatted as I have shown above, and I got the same thing. I know its loosing precision when the string is changed to a number, but the funny thing is, if a string less than the full length ( 10 in this case ) of the field is passed, all is well.
Example
<number>1234.12345</number> ----> 01234.12345 ( which makes me happy )

Does anyone know what approach I can use here to solve this problem?

Thanking you in advance
Garvin