[xsl] incrementing a counter in XSL

Subject: [xsl] incrementing a counter in XSL
From: becky.foley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:05:37 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Becky Foley/IIG/Prudential on
04/18/2002 02:05 PM ---------------------------
Becky Foley    Thursday April 18, 2002 12:13 PM
      (973) 802-6567
To:    XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
Subject:    incrementing a counter in XSL

I am selecting some nodes from an XML doc with an if statment in a for-each
loop.  Out of the set of nodes I am looping through, I am only selecting
some in the if statment.  Each of these nodes that is selected by the if
statement needs a sequence number.  Originally I was using :
     <xsl:for-each select="Contract/TermRdr">
            <xsl:if test="StatusCd='A' or StatusCd='F'">
                  <SequenceNum fieldType="Short" elementType
="field"><xsl:number value ="position()"/></SequenceNum>
      </xsl:if>
   </xsl:for-each>

but I realized I was getting the position from the source xml.  So if the
if statement selected 2 of the 5 nodes, they could end up with sequence
numbers 2 and 4 as opposed to the 1 and 2 I am looking for.

So now I am trying to figure out how to implement some sort of counter
within my if statement and use that variable, but I am struggling.

Can anyone help with the simple way to do this?

Thanks,