Re: [xsl] javascript access to XML DOM in IE5+

Subject: Re: [xsl] javascript access to XML DOM in IE5+
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:29:05 -0400
[Steve Rosenberry]

> (with apologies for the length and to those who monitor both the XML and
> XSLT list...)
>
> If I give my IE5 browser the URL of an XML file, IE is kind enough to
> load it, discover the XSLT PI inside, and display the resulting
> user-interface that I want.  No problems so far, but now I would like to
> trigger client-side javascript XML DOM edit functions from buttons
> placed on said form (e.g. insert, modify, or remove elements) and
> hopefully have the new XML DOM tree re-displayed.
>
> The general consensus on comp.lang.javascript (see [1] for all the gory
> details) was that the original XML DOM tree has been flushed in the
> above scenario, and I was left with three choices if I actually wanted
> to manipulate the XML after displaying it:

Yes, IE is said to serialize the transformation to a complete html document,
then display that document.  That html document is what your javascript
would be working with.  On the other hand, if you do a Source/View, you will
see the original xml.  I don't know if this has been saved or whether IE
reloads the source to show it, but it suggests that there might be a way to
get at it.  I don't know how, though.

Tom P