RE: [xsl] appending output to file using saxon

Subject: RE: [xsl] appending output to file using saxon
From: "Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:18:27 +0200
Jakob Fix wrote: Is there a way to append content to an existing file using
Saxon?  Or any other
way?

hmm, not sure if I get the whole question here, but the above is clear
enough, I gave a solution that allowed one to append content to a file
several months ago, it can be found at:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200201/msg01251.html but note
the following posts to that and the controversy that ensued to see that,
although this in fact worked it was a bad thing.

here's the xslt again:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding="utf-16"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version='1.1'
    xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="output">
<xsl:variable name="href"><xsl:value-of select="@file"/></xsl:variable>
<xsl:param name="input" select="document($href)"/>
<xsl:document href="{$href}" method="xml">
<root>
<xsl:copy-of select="$input"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/></root>
</xsl:document>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="p">
<para><xsl:value-of select="."/></para>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Actually I'm glad that this came up because I wanted to take the subject up
again and was contemplating a post. Given that the above solution is
bad(side effects I take it being possible because $input which selects
document($href) is output inside an xsl:document which generates $href,
although I'd thought that as $input came before the xsl:document element it
should be read in and side-effects be impossible), is there a possible
solution whereby one can 'append' to a document in the way the one above
does?