Re: [xsl] Seeking help on Grouping distingt sub-elements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Seeking help on Grouping distingt sub-elements
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:35:15 -0400
At 2002-05-06 15:06 -0400, jestoll@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ken, on your statement:

<xsl:if test="generate-id(.)=generate-id($chassis[commonid=current()/commonid])">

is there an implied [1] on the end of the $chassis[...] piece?

Only by coincidence ... generate-id() (and a number of other functions) operate only on the first node in document order of a node set argument of more than one node. So it *looks* like there was a [1] there, but that's not what is going on behind the scenes.

Having looked at Ken's, Jeni's was a bit more aproachable (still a little wierded out by the key thing after the recent head-bashing...) - it appears that they're doing the exactly the same thing - Ken's is using a for-each immediately followed by an if that compares the generate-id values, while Jeni's uses a for-each with the equivalent key-based approach - is that correct?

Yup! I came across my method when I was obliged to use XT and XT didn't support keys. I find it far easier to handle "contextual grouping" be that in a subset of the tree (as in your case) or when grouping within groups (a common requirements). Also, having the variable around was helpful in your situation (though the reason I use the variable is for speed, in order to get away from having to access the source node tree more than necessary).

But, as I said, it isn't as "good" as the Muenchian method in certain situations, which I think all reduce down to when you need a node set result of the group members, in which case you have to use the Muenchian method.

My method only works when you are processing nodes as they are being selected, but I've been really pleased how much easier the subgrouping is. I've added this method to the Muenchian method and the axis-based (but slow) method of grouping in the Sorting chapter of my electronic book.

This technique came to mind after the Ninth Edition of my electronic book went to paper, so you won't find it in the paper rendition of my book found in bookstores.

I think its actually making some sense now!!! :-)

Congratulations ... it is a fun language to learn (and to teach!).

.............. Ken

-- Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSLFO: June 17-21, 2002 - : 3-days XML Information Modeling: July 31-August 2, 2002

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1               Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books(electronic, printed),
articles, training(instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:               2002-05-06,07,09,10,13,15,20,
-                    06-04,07,10,11,13,14,17,20,07-31,08-05,27,30