Re: [xsl] limiting preceding axis by ancestor

Subject: Re: [xsl] limiting preceding axis by ancestor
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 22:28:07 +0200
Fox, Michael wrote:
I have a document where there are many instances of <foo>. Each <foo> may
have many <bar> children. <bar> is itself recursive to several levels.

<foo>
	<bar>
	<bar>
<foo>
	<bar>
		<bar>
			<bar>

I want to test to see if any preceding <bar> has the same value as the
current <bar> but limit the test to those <bar> elements are children of the
immediate <foo> ancestor.   In other words, I want to exclude any <bar>
children of the ancestor::foo's preceding-sibling:foo

Try preceding::bar[generate-id()=generate-id(current()/ancestor::foo)] or ancestor::foo//bar[following::bar[count(.|current())=1]] Either can be inefficient, depending on the actual XML.

J.Pietschmann