Re: [xsl] lambda character

Subject: Re: [xsl] lambda character
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:37:34 -0600 (MDT)
Chuck White wrote:
> You'll quickly see why the "Symbol" font is not your solution.
>
> I've also found Unipad a very handy tool. You can get it at www.unipad.org.
>
> Using it, you'll see that the Unicode for the Greek capital Lamda character
> is &#x039B; in hex format.

Unfortunately, he wants it to work in Netscape. If he's talking about Netscape
4.x, it's horribly broken w.r.t. character references and entities. He may
have to resort to the Symbol hack because (off the top of my head):

  - hex character refs are unrecognized

  - named character entities beyond the latin-1 range are unrecognized

  - decimal character refs are misinterpreted as being code points in
    the encoding of the HTML document being displayed, rather than as
    Unicode code points

  - decimal character refs outside the range of the encoding of the
    HTML document being displayed are unrecognized

Horrible, horrible state of affairs with that browser. I wish it would die
already. Alan's Wood's pages at http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/
explain the situation more thoroughly.

   - Mike