Re: [xsl] mime types, i.e.5, Mozilla, and MathML

Subject: Re: [xsl] mime types, i.e.5, Mozilla, and MathML
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 00:31:24 +0100
> At  the w3c Math test suite site, or their intro to mathML site,
> there are mathml examples; and when I view them in my browser, the
> MathML that these sites have posted will display properly . When I
> paste the same source html/mathml into a document on my pc, and then
> try to open it in the SAME browser, it will not display. Why? This
> sounds to me like for some reason the browser is not able to locate
> the mathml.xsl stylesheet.

I suspect that www-math@xxxxxx might be better than xsl-list but
anyway...

the files have _relative_ links to copies of the stylesheet (because oF
IE security restrictions on doing anything else.

Check the files you have downloaded they start something like
<?xml-stylesheet ... href="pmathml.xsl"?>

so you need to either change that to be a relative path to a local copy
of the stylesheet (wherever your local copy is) or make it into a full
path http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/pmathml.xsl
(IE does allow going from your local disk to the server for the
stylesheet, it just doesn't allow going from one server to another)

> I have tried disabling the IE security setting.
Note I really don't recommned this (since it affects an unknown number
of other things besides XSL) I have reworded teh description of the
problem on the website to make it more clear that this was not a
recommended route (although it does work)

> e "C:\WINDOWS\ . . . " (i
> tried changing the direction of slashes in the previous absolute
> pathname, too), but nothing works.

aha maybe that's your problem in which case it's not an XSL issue at
all. c:\xxx\yyyy and c:/xxx/yyy are both URI in an unknown URI scheme
"c" that being the part before the : as in http://... ot ftp://...
some windows programs silently correct such bad URI but they are not
obliged to, you should use
file:///c:/xxx/yyy

> How can the same code on the same
> browser preview correctly from a remote site and yet completely bomb
> on my personal computer?

Fragile beast's web browsers...

David