RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping not working?

Subject: RE: [xsl] disable-output-escaping not working?
From: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:57:50 +0200

Then you need newer books/articles, or material with a less
Microsoft-centric world view.

> for plain
> old XML/XSL I think, or should I be using XSLT? This is all a little

There is no such thing as "plain" XSL. XSL consists of a transformation
language (XSLT) and a vocabulary for formatting objects (XSL-FO). The latter
currently is irrelevant for you...

> overwhelming when you are new to it. I'm a programmer by trade, and I have
> to say that XML seems to have more 'standards, namespaces and
> requirements'
> than it does code :P. What namespace(s) do you recommend?

The only one that is defined by the W3C (see the XSLT spec).

> 2. Parsing the HTML using TIDY sounds like a good idea. Hopefully not too
> much extra work. What is TIDY and where can I find it?

Tidy is open source and available from SourceForge
(<http://tidy.sourceforge.net/>). Of course you can use any other HTML
parser that you have as well.

> 3. XHTML? Hmm, so now I am looking at an XML/XSL/XSLT/TIDY/XHTML solution?
> Hehe. Any good references on XHTML? Everytime I try anything with
> XML, seems
> like I have to learn 2 or 3 new related technologies :)

It's just HTML repackaged as well-formed XML. In this case, this would allow
you to process it *properly* using XSLT.

> Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome.