Re: [xsl] XalanC++: 'Xalan' versus 'testXSLT', XML Schema support?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XalanC++: 'Xalan' versus 'testXSLT', XML Schema support?
From: "James Fuller" <james.fuller@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:00:47 +0100
Hello Ed,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward L. Knoll" <ed.knoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 1) What's the differences between the Xalan C++ 'Xalan' and 'testXSLT'
> executables?  Why would I select one over the other?

this is a Xalan question, ask on a Xalan list......but honestly use the
thing that says Xalan C++ .....

> 2) I'm starting to check into XML validation.  My thought was to go the
> XML Schema route as opposed to the DTD route.   Do either of the

You may also find RELAXNG to your liking, though support is thin with
respect to C++

you will find that XML Schema will do everything that you need, I would
suggest getting your hands on any of the editors that are out there for XML
( xmlspy, or goto www.perfectxml.com there is a bit o stuf there )

> XalanC++ processors support validation via XML Schema?  If not is there

more xalan questions ? no wonder no  one answered
since Xalan uses Xerces-C++  yes it supports XML Schema

> something else I could utilize which does?  I'd prefer
> standalone/prebuilt executables?  We're attempting to do all of our
> XML/XSL processing without doing any programming (other than writing
> XML/XSL files).

sounds like you will be chaining things together and piping the output of
one transform into another.....

I think that you would be better served downloading instant saxon from
saxon.sourceforge.net

play around with this a little bit....also you know that IE has XSLT
processor and XML Schema built in, it also has an executable option.....

you really should play around a little before trying to create a production
environment, XSLT all by its lonesome may not fulfill your requirements...

good luck, jim fuller