RE: [xsl] Using JavaScript to access <xml:list> items

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using JavaScript to access <xml:list> items
From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:57:50 +0100
> I am looking to map a relational style database to XML, and
> think that lists of integers are the best way to represent
> one-to-many relationships.  (comments??)

The best way to represent a one-to-many relationship in XML is to use
the natural hierarchic structure of XML.

> It seems that XSLT has limited functionality to access lists
> (I believe this is on the list of things for version 2.0, so
> assume that statement is true)

So long as the lists are organized with one element for each item in the
list, XSLT 1.0 can handle it fine. Where it gets limited is in handling
lists as temporary results of expressions.

> What I'm after is methods to access and manipulate the lists
> in a style sheet.  In particular I want to be able to :
> * Step through the lists (for-each element in the list);
> * Test if a particular value occurs in any of the lists.
> Developing an understanding/familiarity with using the
> language(s) would also be handy!!!

Yes indeed. What I do in this situation is to go to the local bookstore
and browse all the books on the subject, and then buy the one that looks
best suited to my needs.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx