[xsl] Re: Efficiency, use param in key?

Subject: [xsl] Re: Efficiency, use param in key?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 22:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
--- Christopher_Dant at jackmorton dot com wrote:

> On working a stylesheet that processes a multimedia-course storyboard
> and
> returns text, CRLF-delimited, sorted, lowercase, no-duplicates
> filenames I
> have several questions:
>
> 1. is there anything I should do to improve it (make it more
> efficient)?

Not too much:

1. Avoid expressions like "//file_audio" whenever possible. Probably
this is just "file_audio", or "$someFixedPath/file_audio" ?

2.    <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&#xD;&#xA;</xsl:text>
                ^^^^^^^^^^

This seems strange to me.

> 2. is it possible to use the param "ele" in key, apply-templates and
> template? This would make it possible for a single stylesheet to look
> for
> file_audio, file_video or file_graphic tags.

The "match" attribute of xsl:key and xsl:template cannot contain
variable references -- this is said in order to prevent circular
definitions, as global variables can be defined using the key()
function or xsl:apply-templates. Due to the same reason the "use"
attribute of xsl:key cannot contain variable references.

Variable references can be used in the value of the "select" attribute
of xsl:apply-templates.

> 3. Or perhaps I should actually ask, is there a way to rework my
> approach
> so I can parameterize it?

One way to parameterise the usage of keys is to pass their ***name***
as parameter to a template.

Hope this helped.

=====
Cheers,