RE: [xsl] need help explaining one data structure over another

Subject: RE: [xsl] need help explaining one data structure over another
From: sara.mitchell@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:17:31 -0400
Well it depends on how the index is actually being written.
DocBook has a fairly long history of being very specific
about a lot of things (think of sect1-5, or all the
various *info elements).

If your authors are literally writing up the index inside
different names make it easier to keep straight where
you are as you're writing. I'm sure people who like the
<item> structure will say that simple indentation works
fine for this, but it is one thing to think about. The
writers are your users, so unless there's some other impact
(like performance), making their job easier ought to
count for something. So maybe you should ask them and go
with what they like?

I have implemented the DocBook indexing and found it
good for some things and awkward for others. What
you end up with are templates that match primary, secondary,
etc. rather than a couple of templates, one to match item
and one to recurse through the hierarchy. At least from
my perspective, this was a very small issue (read a drop
in the bucket) in getting the index to be generated and
properly linked.

Sara Mitchell
[snipped]