[xsl] Impact of xml doc size on transformation

Subject: [xsl] Impact of xml doc size on transformation
From: Jitu <jibhatia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:27:20 +0530
What is the size of XML documents that can be reliably transformed using XSLT ?

This question is w.r.t a reporting application that i am writing where, the data is fetched from various sources (like database and ldap etc.), it is put in a xml format and saved. Then we use xsl to transform it into html and serve it to the end user on a web browser.
The report data xml file may be huge, ranging from a few hundreds of records to thousands.

The user is presented with only 10 records at a time. This is done by using xsl to transform the report xml file into html and just pickup first 10 records initially. When the user presses next, i again pickup this xml file apply xsl and pickup next 10 records. This way i am able to provide him paging functionality, and do not need to re-generate the report everytime.

Similarly user can sort by clicking on a column header. Again i go back and transform the xml using xsl:sort etc..

What i am worried about is what would be the behaviour when there are is too much data in my xml file - say 5,000 or 10,000 records. What is a reaonable maximum.

(As you can see one of the reasons xml is being used here is to avoid re-generating the report everytime user clicks NEXT/PREVIOUS etc.. So xml is also a caching mechanism here.)

Please let me know your valuable inputs in this regard
Jitu