Re: [xsl] Implementing XPointer Resolution Withsaxon:evaluate()

Subject: Re: [xsl] Implementing XPointer Resolution Withsaxon:evaluate()
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:21:24 -0500
Wendell Piez wrote:

> Yet if they contain all the same information, using a node-set extension
> couldn't you query into them and find the further information you need to
> continue along your chain?

No--I need the *the same node*, not a copy of the node.

That is, an XPointer addresses a thing and I need the resolution of that
XPointer to return the thing, not a copy of the thing.

It's not about the information in the element, it's about the element
itself. For example, I must be able to navigate from the element
returned to its parent--I can't do this if what I get back is a copy of
the node.

The use of generate-id() is simply a test that this is happening:
generate-id() lets me test node (object) identity in the context of XSLT
processing.

Cheers,

E.
--