RE: RE: [xsl] DOM and XML parser

Subject: RE: RE: [xsl] DOM and XML parser
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:16:24 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Brown
Hi Mike

Mike said:
Technically, the value of the match attribute is a 'pattern',
defined in XSLT only. It is a restricted kind of XPath expression
that a single node can be tested against for a match, rather than
a means of locating multiple nodes or producing some other kind of
XPath object (boolean, number, string).

The value of a select attribute is an XPath expression, though.

Didier replies:
Exact. Sorry I forgot to say that the match attribute's value is valid
only for an Xpath subset. The subset that refers to a single node.
So to recap:
a) the match attribute uses a subset of Xpath. A subset used to locate a
particular node. The result set of a match is a singleton (i.e. a single
entity)
b) the select attribute uses the Xpath 1.0 complete set since the result
of a selection could be either a singleton or a collection. Not to
mention that it could be other types like you mentioned (boolean,
etc...). As you know, Xpath 1.0 contains some functions and these
function return values like numbers, bolean, etc..

Thanks Mike for mentioning this imprecision. I just recap for our fellow
who asked the question at first.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin