Re: [xsl] Inserting softHyphens in FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] Inserting softHyphens in FO
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:04:07 +0200
Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
Using soft hyphens is not recommended:
Okay, it's not a bug, but the U+00AD character is established in so many
other contexts, so not mentioning them in the spec is likely a result of
human error. I agree we cannot recommend them as portable solution now, but
I think one should at least recommend them in those cases where it works.

The XSLFO spec leaves a lot of details open, some explicitely and intentionally, some probably quite unintentionally. They'd never got it out of the door otherwise. It is commonly understand that the Unicode related standards should guide character handling, which describe how soft hyphens are handled. It's just that nobody yet got around to implement it in FOP. It will be ultimately done though.

J.Pietschmann