Re: [xsl] Escaping a utf-8 string

Subject: Re: [xsl] Escaping a utf-8 string
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:10:46 -0600 (MDT)
Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> Unfortunately, this does not support anything other than low bit ascii.

iso-8859-1 (0-255), not just ascii (0-127), but yeah, it's not a practical
solution for dealing with all of Unicode, which is why I said that if you used
this approach, you'd have to settle on a reasonable subset to support.

> I have considered using a binary search to find the char, but since there is
> no "unicode numeric code -> string" function in xsl either that I have
> found, this won't work either. If such a function did exist, this would be
> relatively speedy.

Right. The only option I can see is to create and use an extension function,
which I think you said you didn't consider viable?

If portability is not an issue, you could use <msxsl:script>, and perhaps
use http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/UTF.js as a starting point...

   - Mike