Re: [xsl] document() missing the document

Subject: Re: [xsl] document() missing the document
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:10:51 +0100
> XSLT is designed to have a lot to do with distributed, networked
> applications. Given that, I find language support for partial failure
> shockingly poor.

Actually I think it's really only this document() problem (which is
quite bad, I grant) there are very few other places where an XSLT 1.0
stylesheet can not be coded to avoid an error.

XSLT2/Xpath drafts have a lot more to say on error handling.

For XSLT 1 you can avoid this error as long as you know which XSLT
processor (or processors) you are using.

If your processor returns an empty node set on a missing document then
you can test for that.

If not then you can normally write an extension function that tests for
the file before you attempt the document() function. (In msxsl you could
use javascript for this).

David