Re: [xsl] xalan 2.4 transformation to fo - "Content is not allowed in prolog"

Subject: Re: [xsl] xalan 2.4 transformation to fo - "Content is not allowed in prolog"
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:53:36 -0400
Joseph,

This isn't really an XSLT question, but rather a question about parsing your XML. (So it's out of scope for the list; yet sometimes we go a little astray.)

You should try parsing your files (including, in this case, the stylesheet itself) outside of an XSLT environment to make sure they conform to XML well-formedness rules.

The particular error you are describing, or something like it, I have seen with some parsers when the file has a UTF-8 BOM in the front ... which is kind of an "advanced" nit to try to handle. Apparently parsers vary on their interpretation of what UTF-8 allows. (No doubt we'll hear some clarification from a more knowledgeable person if I don't have this right.)

Yet one can't be sure whether that's even the problem without looking at the file. I only think it might be given the fact that it works in one toolset but not another. Yet I don't even know if your files purport to be UTF-8. You want to make sure the encoding actually used is the same one declared in the XML declaration.

Good luck,
Wendell